Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Joy Amongst Sorrow

Many people have been asking about the recent passing of my cousin, Lynn Erskine. Rather than posting a brief explanation on FB, I thought I would write this blog as a reflection of my fond memories. I do not have all the details of his passing, but what I do know is that during the "cool down" after his run with his running partner, he collapsed. Although his death was quite tragic and VERY sudden, there were SO many important joyful highlights in his life, so let's reflect on them.

Lynn was married to my cousin Natasha. {Natasha is extremely special to me. I have always looked up to her and can remember as a kid thinking she and her older sister, Melissa, were soooo "cool". As we grew older we became closer, especially after I moved to Truro last year. Natasha was also with me during Annabelle's birth as a support person. The only non-medical person (besides Mitch ;)) to ever see me naked!Haha..so obviously we are pretty tight.} I don't really remember the first time I met Lynn because it feels like he has always been apart of our family. What I do know is that I liked him right away. How could you not? Lynn was so incredibly likeable. High energy, witty, comical, PASSIONATE, yet completely personable and humble.

Growing up, at all our extended family get togethers I was always at the "kid table." I hated this. I always dreamed for the day that I could sit at the "adult table." However, as I got older I realized that I actually preferred the kid table because Lynn and Tasha were at it :) We always all joked about how SOMEDAY we would make it to the adult table, but let's face it guys life was alright at the kid table ;)

Christmas 2003. The days before I had a digital camera...haha



If you were to ask me, "Rebecca, who is the most in-love couple (besides yourself) that you know?" Without the blink of an eye, I would say, "Lynn & Tash." As a teen, I can remember being a little uncomfortable by times with all the PDA...haha. Their wedding will always be one of my all-time favourites. It was so beautiful, simple, and the room was filled to the ceiling with love. I'll never forget when Lynn surprised Tasha by singing to her. He bawled during the entire thing and even said, "I can't even look at you!" It was so sweet. Years later, Mitch and I always would reassure ourselves that we weren't too young to get married because Lynn and Tash were young and look how happy they are!

With the happy couple at their wedding. Dec 19th, 2003. Again, the days before digital...haha My eyes are closed and I don't think Tasha's smile could be bigger...

As the years passed, Mitch and I always enjoyed visiting with Lynn and Tash whenever we got the chance. While Mitch was in university at NSAC, he and Lynn would go for coffee and us two couples would get together when I came to visit Mitch. We enjoyed playing cards like 'Hand and Foot' or as Lynn called it 'Main et Pied'.When we were engaged, and trying to select attendants to stand with us, we decided to ask Lynn. I think this shows how much we thought of him.
Lynn making his classic picture face the day of our wedding. If you look through FB pics you'll see this face a few times.





Another one of my all-time favourite Lynn memories took place during our wedding. Midway through the father-daughter dance we invited all other fathers and daughters to join us on the dance floor. Fathers and their daughters made their way to the dance floor and all of a sudden I saw Lynn leap from the head table. "I have a daughter!" he beamed. Roya was about 2 months old. He held her close and swayed with her on the dance floor. Probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.
Beautiful collage by Yorke Photography. Over the years, Matt, Chera, and Steve have taken so many beautiful pictures of the Erskines, which I know, will always be cherished.

Lynn was so faithful to Jesus. Just days ago, I was sitting with him at convention. I'm not sure who I enjoyed better-the speaker or Lynn. Lynn had his own commentary going on while Allan Demond was speaking. For example: Demond said something like now I will read something from Deuteronomy for you..." and Lynn goes, "Mmmm, I dare you!" Loved it. So Lynn.

Another quirky Lynnism that I will never forget: While Mitch and I were living in Truro, we had the opportunity to attend a home church at the Erskines. After the formal part of the evening we would enjoy snacks that everyone had brought. One particular night I brought some frozen green grapes. Lynn saw the grapes, picked one up and SANG, "I praise God for frozen grapes." Then he popped it in his mouth. I will NEVER forget that.

Lynn holding Anna at a Christmas party/her baby shower.


At that home church, one evening we were discussing what real "Joy in the Lord" is. There is a difference between being happy and being joyful. For me, I shared that joy in the Lord was being able to say, "It is well with my soul" in the midst of tragedy like Horatio Spafford. 

I am absolutely miserable for my sweet Natasha, Roya, and Alea. However, there is Joy amongst the sorrow. It is well with his soul, so it is well with my soul. So, my dear cousin, my dear friend, I sing to you, "I praise God for Lynn Erskine!"


*** A Memorial Trust fund has been set up in Lynn's honour for his family. Please consider donating to this Trust fund. It's through Paypal and is quick and easy! Any amount would be appreciated. Every little bit will help. This will help lift a heavy financial burden off of Tasha. If anyone deserves it, she does. Let's surround Tasha, Roya, and Alea with support and blow them away with generosity!!

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're on the way back to Halifax after seeing Natasha at the Church. Thank you for sharing some precious Lynn memories with us. Your family is in our prayers. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete