Friday, February 14, 2014

My Valentine's/Birthday

Thought I should blog about this because I really want to remember it.

This morning Anna decided to wake up and share her "love" with us at 5:30. Around 6:30 Mitch decided to take the girls downstairs for me so I could try to get some more sleep. After about half an hour, I could hear Nora screaming and called Mitch to bring her to me because I assumed she was hungry. He brought her up, but she was not interesting in nursing. She wanted to play. As I was getting up to go downstairs, I could smell something cooking/burning and instantly knew that Mitch was making me breakfast.

To my delight, it wasn't burnt. Our stove/oven just always smells like it is burning whatever we are making. I had some scrumptious eggs and toast and pink lemonade served to me on the couch, since I had already gotten out of bed.

Mitch sat down next to me and read a list he had created of some of the things he loves about me. During this time, Anna noticed that Mommy was receiving some special attention and deduced that...it must be mommy's birthday!

"Hacky Birfday, Mommy!" she exclaimed. Then she proceeded to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me.

Later, Anna and I were in my room and she pointed to my "together" willow tree and said, "Aw! Mommy & Daddy!"

I could have cried. I am surprised I didn't, considering how tired I am. I am so proud that Anna associates a man and a woman embracing with her parents. I have always firmly believed that the best way I can love my babies is to love my husband.

I can remember being grossed out by my parents affection as a teenager and not understanding why they got to go on cool trips alone growing up, but now that I am a parent (and in my older teenage years) I have come to appreciate the work they put into their marriage (because it takes work!). They made it and each other a priority. This is something we have and will continue to strive for in our marriage.

So, parents ignore your children's whining and complaining about your affection and show it anyway. They will probably come to appreciate it some day. My kids better get used to it, because we're believers in PDA  and, for now, Anna seems to love that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment